Emergency Notice | Although we are in the midst of a global epidemic, we want to assure our current and inquiring clients that we are working diligently while taking all necessary and precautionary steps to ensure the safety and health of our WKW staff. ***Please note that we offer virtual meetings.***

How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Suit in Indiana?

Free Case Evaluation

Injury Attorneys | Restoring LivesTM

Updated February 21, 2020 | Wrongful Death |


In Indiana, immediate family members of the deceased have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim. Once this deadline has passed, it’s nearly impossible to get the claim through the courts.

Some attorneys offer free consultations, so take advantage: Even if you just need clarification, contact a lawyer immediately.

Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?

Indiana law requires that a claim must be filed by a representative of the deceased’s estate (i.e. money and property). A representative is someone who’s responsible for handling any debts and taxes as well as disbursing money and property to the individuals entitled to it. Damages may be awarded to the deceased person’s spouse, children, or other dependents. If more than one person is eligible to receive damages, the court will decide how to split up the amount.

In a wrongful death claim involving the death of a child, the case must be filed by one or both of the child’s parents. If the parents are divorced, the claim must be filed by a parent who has legal custody of the child. If both parents are deceased or if they don’t have parenting rights, the case must be filed by the child’s legal guardian.

Are Wrongful Death cases Criminal cases?

In some wrongful death cases, it’s possible that the other party might be tried in a criminal case. However, criminal cases are not wrongful death cases; if someone is seeking damages for wrongful death, they will need to pursue a separate case.

Wrongful death cases offer no guarantees. If the case lacks reliable proof of negligence, or if the representative of the deceased fails to follow Indiana protocol for filing the lawsuit, the outcome might not be a favorable one.

Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney Today

If your loved one has died as a result of negligence, you are urged to contact an Indianapolis wrongful death lawyer from Wilson Kehoe Winingham. The lawyers at WKW can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call 317.920.6400 or fill out an online contact form for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

WKW Case Evaluation

Request A Free Case Evaluation

Back to Top