Updated May 12, 2021

Do I Need a Lawyer If My Child Has Cerebral Palsy?

Children with mild to severe cerebral palsy may require physical therapy, medical procedures, and special equipment, which can quickly add up in cost. However, if your child’s cerebral palsy was caused by medical malpractice, you should not be responsible for the expenses—the physician or healthcare provider who committed malpractice is responsible.

Don’t take on a medical malpractice case alone. Having an experienced birth injury attorney on your side will give you an edge when seeking financial compensation to cover such costs.

Why Should You Hire a Birth Injury Attorney?

A birth injury attorney, especially one experienced with cerebral palsy cases, will help you and your family fight for compensation that can be used to care for your child. Covered costs could include the following:

  • Medical expenses
  • Supplies and equipment (wheelchair, braces, assistive technology, etc.)
  • In-home care
  • Rehabilitation
  • Physical therapy
  • Counseling
  • Special education

Your attorney will evaluate your situation and, if they determine that is falls under medical malpractice, they will build your legal case and present it in court.

When Should You Hire a Birth Injury Attorney?

It is crucial that you contact an attorney as soon as possible after you discover that your child has cerebral palsy—most cases are detected before a child reaches two years old, and then the clock starts ticking.

The deadline for pursuing a medical malpractice case is called the statute of limitations, which in Indiana is generally two years. However, there are exceptions for children who were injured before they were six as well as situations in which an injury was discovered later.

Contact a Birth Injury Attorney Today

If your child experienced a birth injury that resulted in cerebral palsy, contact the Indianapolis Birth Injury Attorneys of Wilson Kehoe Winingham. The lawyers at WKW can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call 317.920.6400 or fill out an online contact form for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

Request a Free Consultation

Contact Us

Let WKW put our experience to work for you. Contact us for your free case evaluation.


Or, call us today at (317) 920-6400

Located In Indianapolis
Back to Top