Updated February 20, 2020

What Should I Do After a Farming Accident?

As every farmer knows, agriculture is a dangerous industry. Farming accidents are common, and farm workers can sustain various types of injuries.

Regardless of how often they happen, farming accidents are scary. If you have been injured while working on a farm, you may be overwhelmed with deciding what to do next, who to contact, and how to get compensated—all while in pain and trying to recover.

What are Four Steps to Take After a Farming Accident?

If you are injured while working on a farm, it is important that you follow these four steps.

Seek Medical Care

After a farming accident, your first priority should be to seek medical care. Minor injuries may call for seeing a doctor. For more severe injuries, you may need to contact emergency services immediately following the accident.

Even if your injuries don’t seem serious enough to require medical attention, it is in your best interest to visit a doctor. Injuries can often get worse after hours, days, or weeks following an accident, so medical care could help you avoid later health complications. Additionally, the insurance company of the at-fault party could question the validity of your injury claim if you wait too long to see a doctor.

Report the Injury

As soon as possible, report the injury to your employer. In cases of farm equipment accidents, for example, they can ensure that the equipment is correctly disabled and stored so as to not injure others. Other parties—government agencies, vendors, contractors, etc.—may need to be notified as well, depending on the specifics of your accident. An attorney can help you determine who you need to contact.

Preserve Evidence

Preserving evidence is key to building a strong case. To collect evidence, consider doing the following:

  • Take lots of photos of your injuries and the accident scene
  • Gather contact information from witnesses and bystanders
  • Keep tools or equipment that were involved in your injury

Your attorney can help you collect and preserve evidence for your case.

Consult Legal Counsel

Consult an attorney to represent you at all stages of the accident investigation and claim process. They can recommend how to speak with insurance companies, inform you about statutes of limitations in your state, and discuss workers’ compensation laws.

Contact a Farming Accident Attorney Today

If you have been injured as a result of a farming accident, you are urged to contact the Indianapolis Farming Accident Attorneys of Wilson Kehoe Winingham. The lawyers at WKW can help you with the next steps in pursuing a farming accident case. Call 317.920.6400 or fill out an online contact form for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

Request a Free Consultation

Contact Us

Let WKW put our experience to work for you. Contact us for your free case evaluation.


Or, call us today at (317) 920-6400

Located In Indianapolis
Back to Top