Request a Free Consultation

Farming Accidents: Chemical Product Labeling and Handling

Updated March 14, 2023 | By Wilson Kehoe Winingham staff

What Is a Chemical Product Label?

A chemical product label is used to ensure that hazardous chemicals, produced or imported, are classified—and the information about the hazardous chemicals is communicated to employers and employees.

What Is on a Chemical Product Label?

According to the OSHA, chemical labels must include:

  1. The Product Identifier – Identifies the hazardous chemical by an appropriate term. Can include the chemical name, code number, and/or batch number.
  2. Signal Word ­– Determines the severity of the of the hazard. “Danger” (a more severe hazard) or “Warning” (a less severe hazard) must be used.
  3. Hazard Statements – Describes the nature and degree of the hazard.
  4. Precautionary Statements – Describes recommended measures for minimizing exposure and lowering the risk of harm from a chemical.
  5. Supplier Information – Lists the name, address, and telephone number of the chemical manufacturer, supplier, or importer.
  6. Pictograms – Uses symbols and graphics to visually illustrate the hazards of a chemical.

Chemical Product Labels on Farms

Common chemicals used on farms should be identified and properly labeled, including:

  • Roundup (Glyphosate)
  • 2-4-Dichiorophenexacetic acid
  • Atrazine
  • Chlorpyrifos
  • Anhydrous Ammonia
  • Meolachlor

It is extremely important that all of these chemicals are labeled and handled properly. Worker Protection Standards 40 CFR 170.210 on restrictions during applications reads, “The handler employer and the handler shall assure that no pesticide is applied so as to contact, either directly or through drift, any worker or other person, other than an appropriately trained and equipped handler.”

It continues, “The handler employer shall assure that any handler who is performing any handling activity with a product that has the skull and crossbones symbol on the front panel of the label is monitored visually or by voice communication at least every 2 hours.” If you were injured as a result of a violation of this code, you may have a case.

Learn More About Agricultural Laws

The Office of Indiana State Chemist (OISC) is responsible for administering agricultural laws in Indiana involving animal feeds, fertilizers, pesticides, and seeds. These laws help “ensure truth-in-labeling, food safety, user safety, and the protection of our environment.”

To learn more about dangerous chemicals, read our blog on the types of chemical exposure.

Contact a Farming Accident Attorney Today

If you have been injured as a result of a farming accident, you are urged to contact the Indianapolis Farming Accident Attorneys of Wilson Kehoe Winingham. The lawyers at WKW can help you with the next steps in pursuing a farming accident case, regardless of the type of accident. Call 317.920.6400 or fill out an online contact form for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

Contact Us

Let WKW put our experience to work for you. Contact us for your free case evaluation.


Or, call us today at (317) 920-6400

Located In Indianapolis
Back to Top