The myriad of cases handled by personal injury attorneys is expansive. Often lawyers will focus on handling a certain type of law. It’s important to pay attention to the track record when researching lawyers to determine if their services are right for you. The attorneys at Wilson Kehoe Winingham have experience with a wide variety of cases in most aspects of Indiana personal injury law.
The Process for Selecting Legal Representation
Choosing a personal injury attorney requires care. The following tips can help you pick the best one for your case.
- Identify lawyers in your area. The lawyer you choose to represent you must practice in the state in which your injury occurred, regardless of where you actually live. The internet can provide lists of lawyers by location.
- Identify lawyers experienced in your type of case. Again, no two personal injury cases are exactly the same. If you were injured in a car accident and a particular lawyer only has experience in medical malpractice, he or she probably won’t be a good fit. Find a lawyer who has dealt with similar cases to yours to ensure you receive the best representation.
- Talk to coworkers or friends. First-hand experience is often the best filter for determining attorney efficacy, but never determine your legal representation based solely on word of mouth. It pays to do your homework.
- Check up on relevant lawyers. Once you have narrowed down your list, it’s time to take a look into the backgrounds of the lawyers you’re considering. There are several websites that score lawyers based on their abilities and other factors. It’s also important to check the state bar in which the lawyer practices. This way, you can ensure your lawyer hasn’t been disbarred.
- Attend free consultations. Almost every law firm offers a free initial consultation. This allows the lawyer to assess your case, and lets you both get to know if you would work well together. Bring documents to this initial meeting. These may be proof of lost income, the accident report, doctor’s notes, and medical bills. Go to more than one free consultation. This way you have options and can choose the lawyer you like best, rather than just the only one you’ve met.
- Make the decision. With all this research, you are ready to make an informed decision about what lawyer you want to represent you.
Don’t overlook networking services. Local bar associations will usually have a network of skilled attorneys. These groups will help you match the specifics of your case to the strengths of each lawyer in the area.
Additional Tips for Seeking Skilled Attorneys
Here are some questions you want to ask yourself before making the final decision.
- What is the attorney’s experience level? An attorney might have a great deal of experience, but little experience handling your type of case.
- What is their win percentage with cases similar to yours? Consider this quote by Abigail Van Buren: “Wisdom doesn’t automatically come with age. Nothing does except wrinkles.”
- Avoid “feel-good” lawyers. If, during your free consultation, the lawyer promises high-dollar amounts and is essentially delivering a sales pitch, chances are he or she isn’t being completely honest about your case. You want to seek out an attorney that explains the issues and types of resistance your case will inevitably encounter. He or she should be able to give you a general idea of your chances of winning.
- Pay attention to the lawyer’s staff. Since the lawyer hires the staff, they are reflective and representative of the attorney’s values and professionalism. This isn’t always a helpful indicator, as there are always exceptions to the rule, but a knowledgeable and helpful staff is often indicative of your lawyer’s efficacy.
Why Should I Get an Attorney?
You can deal with insurance companies on your own. However, they often deliver the lowest possible payout to their clients. Lawyers can put pressure on insurance companies, who are notorious for stalling payments and frustrating clients into accepting whatever payment amount they offer. A lawyer can prove liability in ways that most people without legal knowledge cannot.
Choose Wilson Kehoe Winingham
The attorneys at Wilson Kehoe Winingham are experienced in a range of personal injury cases. If you suffered an injury due to another’s wrongdoing or negligence in the state of Indiana, Wilson Kehoe Winingham can help. Contact us today for your free consultation.