Where to Report Nursing Home and Elder Abuse

Updated March 4, 2020 | By Wilson Kehoe Winingham staff

If you suspect that your elderly loved one has been abused, neglected, or exploited in any way, you can and should file a report. By advocating for them, you can ensure that they receive the care they deserve.

To protect the rights of elders, the federal government relies on local and state agencies. When it comes to reporting elder abuse, you have several options—any of which an attorney can help you navigate.

Indiana State Department of Health

After suspecting abuse, your first move should be to file a report with the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH). Upon reviewing your complaint, ISDH will send a surveyor out to investigate the nursing home or elder care facility. If they find a violation, they will cite the facility.

Contact the Indiana State Department of Health phone hotline at 800.246.8909 or file a report online.

Long-Term Care Ombudsmen

When elder abuse takes place in a long-term care facility, such as a nursing home or licensed assisted living facility, contact your local Long-Term Care Ombudsman. The Long-Term Care Ombudsmen program exists in every state in accordance with federal law.

These ombudsmen are trained to investigate alleged abuse cases and advocate on behalf of elders in these facilities.

Contact the Indiana Long-Term Care Ombudsman phone hotline at 800.622.4484.

Adult Protective Services

Similarly, all states are required to have an Adult Protective Services (APS) program to protect the rights of vulnerable adults, including both individuals with physical or mental disabilities and elders. When elder abuse occurs in a location other than a long-term care facility, contact your state’s APS agency.

APS operates to investigate abuse allegations and provide resources and protection to vulnerable adults. The services this agency can provide depends on each county’s budget.

Contact the Indiana Adult Protective Services Agency phone hotline at 800.992.6978 or file a report online.

Local Law Enforcement

Regardless of whether the abuse occurred in a long-term care facility such as a nursing home or in another location, you can contact local law enforcement. Of course, in an emergency, call 911.

Contact a Nursing Home and Elder Abuse Attorney Today

If you suspect that your elderly loved one is being abused, contact the Indianapolis Nursing Home and Elder Abuse Attorneys of Wilson Kehoe Winingham. The experienced lawyers at WKW can help you and your family fight for the compensation you deserve. Call 317.920.6400 or fill out an online contact form for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

Request a Free Consultation

Contact Us

Let WKW put our experience to work for you. Contact us for your free case evaluation.

Or, call us today at (317) 920-6400

Located In Indianapolis
Back to Top