Updated May 25, 2020

How Do I File a Claim Against an Insurance Company?

When there are substantial damages at stake after a personal injury, you’ll likely file a claim with your insurance company. Receiving the right amount of compensation could cover medical bills, any judgments against you, attorney’s fees, and damages for stress and anxiety.

But if your insurance company handles your claim recklessly or maliciously, or otherwise fails to abide by the terms it lays out in its own contracts, filing a claim against your insurance company may be your best option.

How to Gather Documentation?

First and foremost, you should always keep records of every conversation you have with your insurance company and request a copy of chat transcripts as well as write down names, dates, and a summary of the information exchanged. This documentation is especially important when you feel that you’re being mistreated or misguided.

How do you File a Claim?

If your insurance company refuses or doesn’t honor your request for hard copies of communication, send your insurance company a certified letter detailing the tactics they were using against you and request that a receipt be returned. The simple fact that the letter exists in their possession could be enough fuel to get them to cooperate and work fairly with you. If not, you might consider contacting the Indiana Department of Insurance (IDOI) to file a complaint.

The IDOI will then conduct an investigation and send the complaint to your insurance provider. If you aren’t satisfied with the response, an IDOI employee will take over the case.

Even if your case is taken over by someone in the IDOI, this person cannot act as your attorney. Plus, working with the IDOI could be a lengthy process. To avoid hefty back and forth communication, you might consider hiring an insurance attorney. They will likely handle the claim process at a much faster pace. What’s more, an attorney will be more involved in your individual case and work with you one-on-one to get the compensation you deserve.

Contact an Insurance Attorney Today

If you are struggling to receive compensation from an insurance company, contact the Indianapolis Insurance Attorneys of Wilson Kehoe Winingham. The lawyers at WKW can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call 317.920.6400 or fill out an online contact form for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

Request a Free Consultation

Contact Us

Let WKW put our experience to work for you. Contact us for your free case evaluation.


Or, call us today at (317) 920-6400

Located In Indianapolis
Back to Top