Bruce began his professional career as a registered physical therapist. This experience helped form a unique perspective on how law relates to the practice of medicine and the lives of seriously injured people. While medical legal issues have been one focus of Bruce’s practice, he is equally familiar with negligence law and product liability. As Bruce owns and operates the firm’s private aircraft, he is particularly knowledgeable in aviation law. His tenacity in pursuing fair and equitable compensation for clients is evident in a variety of complex cases, including birth injuries, brain and spinal cord injuries, defective products, and airplane and helicopter crashes.
Personally, Bruce has been a pilot for more than 25 years. He has flown a Piper Saratoga, Piper Seneca II and more recently a Cirrus SR22. Bruce’s piloting experience has been an invaluable resource for the firm’s airplane accident litigation practice helping clients who have suffered tremendous loss in both private and corporate aircraft related accidents.
Over the last 25 years, Bruce has been able to combine his nationally recognized trial skills with his experience owning and operating private aircraft.
Bruce has been honored with the 2001 Indiana Trial Lawyer of the Year award and induction into the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. He also served as the president of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association through 2009. Bruce is currently a board member of the Whitewater Valley Pro Bono Commission. Both Bruce and his partner, Bill Winingham, have served as President of the Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana Foundation and engaged in providing funding for brain injury research particularly focused on concussive injuries confronting our troops returning from Afghanistan and Iraq.
In Bruce’s free time, he enjoys spending time with his family, boating, flying, and biking. Bruce also volunteers for Gleaner’s Food Bank and can oftentimes be heard on WFYI’s Public Radio Challenge grants throughout the year.
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice, Sustaining Member
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, College of Fellows
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Named Top Ten Indiana Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine (since 2008)
- Featured in Parenting Magazine’s 2013 Top Birth Injury Advocates special section
- Featured in Bloomberg Businessweek, Fortune & Money magazines for unique approach to Medical Malpractice cases in Indiana
- Awarded the 2001 Indiana Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Named Best Lawyer’s Indianapolis Product Liability Lawyer of the Year (2014 and 2016)
- Named Best Lawyer’s Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year (2017)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Past President of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association (2009)
- Instructor, NITA Seminar for Trial skills
- Author and lecturer for ITLA, PESI, and ICLEF seminars