Call or Text Us For A Free Case Evaluation: 317.920.6400 | 800.525.8028 Search Site

Truck Accidents – What Are The Odds?

October 19, 2015 Automobile Accidents, Truck Accident

Truck Accident LawyerTruck Accidents are much more likely to cause injury and destruction than car accidents, due simply to the weight and size of trucks on the road. This is true although statistics indicate that most truck drivers operate vehicles safely: of accidents responsible for injury, just 3% are caused by trucks. The other 97% are caused by other types of motor vehicles.

Startling Truck Accident Statistics

Despite this relatively small involvement, however, injuries and fatalities caused by trucking accidents are still startling. An accident where a semi-truck (also known as a tractor-trailer or big rig) is involved, for example, is 98% likely to result in a fatality. For every 100 million miles driven on highways in the nation, more than 2 fatalities and 60 injuries occur. Indeed, fatal semi-truck accidents alone cost $20 billion annually, with nearly two-thirds attributed to decreases in quality of life.

Who Is to Blame in a Truck Accident?

Because of the many players not only driving the truck but involved in purchasing, leasing, or loading the truck, a truck accident is often far more complicated than a car accident. Responsible parties may include, in addition to the driver, the owner, the person or company who leased the vehicle, the manufacturer of the truck or its parts, the shipper of the goods the truck was carrying, or the loader of the goods.

What Is the Role of the Federal Government in a Truck Accident?

A further complicating factor is the role of Federal regulations and laws. Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations lays out rules that all parties must meet. These can be utilized to determine who is at fault in the event of an accident.

What Can I Do If I Have Been Affected by a Life Changing Truck Accident?

Because of the potential damage and complications, it is highly advisable to consult an attorney if you or a loved one has been in a truck accident. We are highly experienced and will fight vigilantly for your rights. If you need help, call us at 317-920-6400. Or if it is easier, you may contact us online.

Request A Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential initial consultation.

Submitting your information does not automatically create an attorney-client relationship. I agree